Thursday 15 July 2010

Wimp

Yes, all right, I know I said in my last post that I was going to live in a tent and yet here I still am, within four brick walls, corrugated iron over my head. This is because, since my hasty decision yesterday, I have discovered certain things about life under canvas. I list the main ones below:
1) It is cold if the season is winter (as it is here, now)
2) It is wet if it rains torrentially (as it did last night)
3) It has a tendency to transform into life under the stars if there is a gale force wind (as there was last night)
4) There is an absence of bathroooms and, whilst it may be argued that standing in torrential rain is a form of showering, there are advantages to having a supply of hot water and the ability to step out of a shower and into a dry place
I am sure others will point out that these facts were all well-known already - even, possibly, self-evident. What I say in response to that is: why then do people do camp? A lot of my neighbours actually do it for a holiday. Is it just the banging-your-head-against-the-wall-so-nice-when-it-stops syndrome? Someone said something to me once about atavism - not, it turns out, a 3-D movie. Well, I may object to pings and squeaks and insistent electronic nagging, but that's as far as my atavism goes.

2 comments:

  1. you forgot to mention one other major reason not to go camping in Australia - BLOODY GREAT BIG HAIRY SPIDERS

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I used to go to the Australian Embassy in Vienna there was always a room full of would-be Balkan migrants waiting to apply to move here. In the corner of the room, to keep them entertained, there was a television, on which a video on permanent loop played during office hours - the video was called 'Poisonous spiders and snakes of Australia'. Oddly, it didn't seem to put anyone off

    ReplyDelete