Wednesday 1 September 2010

Misguided Advertising

Has anyone else noticed the billboard advertising a restaurant on the way from Canberra to Sydney? It stands in a field of cattle, to the left of the road. It reads:

'There is room for all God's creatures - on the plate beside the chips and salad.'

Every time I see it, it distracts me. For a start, it seems tactless to place it right there in the midst of those poor animals. I don't think they can read, but still.

But that's not my main objection. My main objection is the phrase 'all God's creatures.' All? Are you sure? Do I really want to eat a praying mantis, or a snake, or a selection of pan-fried cane toads?. 'Grilled long pork for you love?' 'No, thanks, just chips this time, for me.'

2 comments:

  1. You've obviously never dined in Yorkshire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still getting over the 'veggie haggis samosas' I was offered in Edinburgh once.

    ReplyDelete