Tuesday 1 February 2011

Hot and Filthy

One of the big advantages of living in Australia is that in most parts of the country it is hot and sunny for quite a lot of the year. I don't particularly like being very hot but what I do like is the fact that, to counteract the heat outside, you have to draw the curtains and keep the house in semi-darkness. This has the excellent effect of making it very hard to see dust or, in fact, any dirt to speak of. Thus, housework can be put off indefinitely during the warmer months. (This post, of course, should really be grouped with this and this and this.)

5 comments:

  1. Then, when you open up the curtains later, you will have found that the plush layer of dust gives everything a nice velvety sheen, especially the curtains themselves. It's a win/win scenario, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that another way to avoid doing any housework is to live with a high-caste Hindu (and, I guessing, no other type of Hindu gets to leave India to study or whatever): they will refuse to do housework of any kind and, short of employing somebody, which they will find shockingly expensive in Europe, you can therefore also refuse to do any. Plus the wonderful smell of curry covers up any other odours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it ... zmkc. Now, you have no Search box on your blog and I can't find your Freedom review which I recollect but didn't read properly because I hadn't read the novel at the time. Would you point it to me please - just so I can see how generous I am!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to be careful not to go the full Quentin Crisp, Chris.
    Who made the curries, Gadjo, or was that regarded as creative rather than house work (I'm guessing this didn't take place in Kluj)?
    I wish I did have a search box, Whispering - I must try to find out if there is one on blogger. I'll look out the link for you, although it is a rant rather than a rational response and really much too long (blogging as therapy).

    ReplyDelete
  5. They made the curries, zedders, and not bad they were either. No, Fenny Stratford, Bucks, Pommieland, not Colozsvar.

    ReplyDelete