Monday 12 September 2011

Country Mates

I've been spending quite a lot of time in Yass just lately. It's a country town just outside Canberra and at the moment, with the trees in the main street all in blossom, it is looking particularly nice.

There was a girl I went to boarding school with who came from Yass and I've always remembered the absurd conversation I witnessed between her and another girl's mother. 'So where do you come from dear,' oozed the glossy woman, who'd cruised down in the Merc from Sydney's North Shore. 'Yass', said the Yass girl. 'No, dear, where do you come from?' 'Yass,' the Yass girl replied again. 'No, dear, I was asking you where it is you come from?' 'I come from bloody Yass, Mrs, it's a country town in New South Wales.'

Perhaps you had to be there.

Anyway, it was good to see some furry friends perched on top of the building where my mother's doctor operates a practice that combines all the best of Dr Cameron's modus operandi with 21st century medicine. He (my mother's doctor) is a very rare gem.



3 comments:

  1. Great story, great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nurse - would have been nice to change the angle so as to exclude that telly aerial, but I didn't see it until I got home (that's the kind of photographer I am).
    With another presidential election looming over there, I suggest 'Yass we can' as a future slogan for one or other candidate, Chris.

    ReplyDelete