Sunday 5 May 2013

Updike Moments

Going through old papers this evening, I came across some quotes I wrote down while reading John Updike's book of short stories called The Music School. 

I don't know why I didn't use them in the post I wrote about the collection. I suppose it's impossible to quote all the great bits of Updike, but since I've got them, I thought I'd add them to the blog. I especially like the first and last:

"the unqualified righteousness with which our own acts, however admittedly miscalculated, invest themselves."

"I imagine warmth leaning against my door, and open the door to let it in; sunlight falls flat at my feet like a penitent."

"His voice was faint and far, like wind caught in a bottle."

Ploughing, "like a slow brush repainting the parched pallor of the winter-faded land with the wet dark colour of loam."

No comments:

Post a Comment